GPI, in social networks, means"thanks for inviting". It is an acronym that began to be used as of 2014. As we can see, the first letter of these three words is maintained in order to obtain this abbreviation.
Some abbreviations on social networks were used in order to reproach something. For example, in this case, if an event is held and you have not been invited, the"thank you for inviting"is said as a satirical reproach. You would have liked to go, however, they have not invited you.
The popularity of this type of acronyms in social networks and the internet has been increasing in recent times, especially in Facebook and Instagram . It is used in publications that include photographs, comments or messages. Another of the most used acronyms is LOL .
The GPI on Instagram
It is increasingly common to use abbreviations or keywords on social platforms. The hashtag followed by a keyword on Instagram, for example, often leads to posts: #Love #gpi #photooftheday
Knowing the importance of this type of incorporation may have special relevance for people who use networks. We will try to solve some doubts.
The first appearance of the GPI
Its first appearance was on Instagram in 2014. Later it was extended to Twitter and later to other social platforms. There has been much speculation about the meaning in its beginnings. Here we will rely on the use of gpi today.
We've already seen how gpi is used in Instagram. Now we tell you the meaning of these in other social networks.
On twitter, for example, we can find many abbreviations and acronyms in English. Each of them has a meaning:
- ASAP: As soon as possible (as soon as possible)
- #FF: Follow Friday. This is the well-known tweeting tradition of recommending users on Fridays.
- FB: Facebook
- TY: Thank you (thanks)
- GTG: Got to go (I must go)
The popular @, represents a symbol whose meaning means"to the attention of"or to distinguish a particular person in a publication. In other platforms such as Foursquare, @ is used to determine locations.
The main reason why a vocabulary adapted to networks has been developed is to save time. Twitter only allowed 140 characters to send a message. Explaining something with the minimum number of characters required abbreviating the words.
Many of the abbreviations used in social networks have been approved and used in different languages. Others are composed of the first letter of each word for which a short phase is composed.
People who are not used to this type of vocabulary, can have many confusions about it and not know how to decipher what they are reading.
Other abbreviations used normally
Other abbreviations / acronyms that are normally used are:
- + 1 (support for what comes next).
-GTG (Got To Go, I have to go).
-AFK (Away From Keyboard, remote from the keyboard).
-OMG (Oh my god, oh my god).
-Thx (Thanks, thanks).
- Ernesto del Valle (2016). The 45 most common abbreviations on Twitter and other social networks. 2017, by Socaila Media and Contenidos.com Website: socialmediaycontenidos.com
- UniversiaColombia (2012). The 25 Twitter abbreviations that you should know. 2017, from Universia colombia Website: noticias.universia.net.co
- Fer Pérez (2017). Instagram's most popular hashtags, and how you should use them in each case. 2017, by Urban Tecno Website: urbantecno.com.