The science of Ancient Egypt is absolutely fascinating. The Egyptians, in fact, were some ahead of their time, since they came to understand the human body and the world that surrounded them in a way that most of their contemporaries could not even imagine (let alone in later times, as in middle age), since they mastered sciences such as mathematics or physics.
It could be said that science in Egypt is the basis of this culture, since all its beliefs revolve around science , from the pyramids that welcome them to the beyond, to the elaboration of the beer with which they pay their builders, to the makeup with which men and women adorn their faces. Join us in this incredible trip !
Science of Ancient Egypt | 16 Curiosities
one. To achieve fascinating Egyptian architectural works such as pyramids or obelisks , the Egyptians had to master very deep sciences like physics, not only for the building of those giants, but also for the transport of materials, for example.
two. The medicine was free and related to the temples. The students of this discipline studied in 'houses of life' (the old hospitals) and they took into account the hygiene of the doctor, highly valued both by the government and by the patients.
3. Following with the medicine, the Egyptian doctors classified the diseases into two types : diseases of manifest causes (such as falls, bone breaks ...) and diseases of non-manifest causes, which they attributed to the gods or demons. In addition, Egyptian doctors were also able to operate on their patients for cataracts, trepanations and tumor removal.
4. Likewise, another branch of science of Ancient Egypt that advanced a lot was the mathematics . For example, in Egypt there were two ways of representing numbers, whether in the form of a hieroglyph and, secondly, with the hieratic alphabet, which allowed faster writing.
5. Also, Geometry was also a science of Ancient Egypt, well known by its contemporaries , since they could calculate the area of different geometric figures, such as the square, the triangle or, its greatest success, the circle.
6 The Edwin Smith papyrus is the oldest surgical documentation known. It was written in the 18th Dynasty and contains anatomical descriptions, as well as remedies for war wounds. It is a very rational document, although from time to time, when the disease is unknown, it is recommended to go to the healer.
7. On the same papyrus Edwin Smith, some anatomical descriptions are detailed that demonstrate the immense knowledge that the Egyptian people had of the human body . For example, the heart, the spleen, the liver, the kidneys, the uterus were known ... and it was known that the blood vessels started from the heart.
8 The Egyptians are also the inventors of the spectacular nilometers that, in addition to having a very cool name, consisted of a series of stairs and wells next to the river that had no other purpose than to measure its channel to determine if there would be good harvests.
9 Another result of the science of Ancient Egypt was the creation of toothpaste, made from salt, peppermint, dried petals of iris and pepper. The Egyptians took great care of their teeth, since the sand that was introduced everywhere, including food, was a problem for the teeth.
10 The mathematical knowledge of the Egyptians also had no paragon. Already at that time dominated the addition, subtraction and multiplication. Moreover, according to the papyri of Berlin, this people had reached the point of solving equations of the second degree.
eleven. Gynecological knowledge in ancient Egyptian science was also surprisingly successful , since it was known what was cancer ('a disease that devours the tissues') and even methods to diagnose pregnancy and even the sex of the child.
12 The papyrus of Ahmes is another sample of the scientific advances of the time, in this case of mathematics. This papyrus is formed by a series of mathematical problems (like equations of first degree, arithmetic ...) that the student had to solve, therefore, had a didactic purpose.
13 The Ancient Egyptians were also one of the first cultures to use contraceptives, although they were somewhat unpleasant. Although condoms were made from animal bladders, it was also common to use a vaginal suppository based on crocodile faeces, honey and sodium carbonate.
14. In addition to what we mentioned above, the science of Ancient Egypt was also especially important when calculating the volume of pyramids, for example. Although we do not know how they did it, there are a number of problems and even a satirical text in an ancient Egyptian papyrus.
fifteen. The ancient Egyptians could also be considered veterinarians, since they not only investigated human medicine , but also the way to cure or prevent diseases in their farm animals and in companion animals that consisted of sangria, hot and cold baths, frictions ...
16 Finally, the science of the Egyptians came to chemistry, since they were aware of certain chemical processes (such as tanning the skin, although it might be discovered by accident) or the way, for example, of making cosmetics through this type of knowledge.
The science of Ancient Egypt is amazing and a whole world, right? Tell us, did you like this article? Do you think we have left any curiosity? Remember that you can tell us what you want in a comment, we want to know what you think!