The Leavening flour Is the flour that has a yeast agent (baking powder) and added salt. Since the ingredients are distributed evenly throughout the flour, the same rise of the dough is obtained as in the bakery products.
Generally speaking, you can not use a regular flour in a recipe that calls for leavening, because it will not rise. Likewise, leavening flour can not be used in place of regular flour because too much fermentation agent has been added.
How to Make Leavening Flour
Some recipes often require flour of this type, such as bread, biscuits, some cakes and pancakes, among many others.
If a recipe calls for leavening flour but only has hand-held flour for multiple use, you can make a homemade.
- Flour for all uses,
- Baking powder,
Using a completely dry measuring cup, measure the desired amount of flour in a separate container. For each cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. It mixes well.
How to Make Gluten-Free Leavening Flour
If you want to make a version without gluten , Mix:
- 1 cup with gluten-free flour of the brand of your choice,
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder,
- 1/4 teaspoon salt.
This mixture can be doubled and triplicated.
It can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container in a cool, dark place or in the refrigerator. It will expire when the baking powder expires, so you may want to mark the expiration date found in the baking powder container in your leavening flour container.
Leavening flour can be used in yeast bread or roll recipes, but you will have to skip the salt.
This recipe does not contain sodium bicarbonate , So it should be added if it is an ingredient in the recipe.
1- Oxtail soup with mini parsley dumplings
A traditional winter soup that has mini dough balls. For this reason, it does not need to be accompanied by bread.
- Preparation time: Less than 30 minutes.
- Time to cook: More than 2 hours.
- Serves 6 people.
- 1 whole oxtail (about 1.3 kg), cut into thick chunks,
- 3 tablespoons plain flour,
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper,
- 3-4 tablespoons of sunflower oil,
- 2 onions, cut in half and sliced,
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped,
- 3 carrots peeled and cut into cubes,
- 2 celery sticks, diced,
- 1 teaspoon thyme dry,
- 2 sheets of laurel ,
- 300 ml of Red wine ,
- 2 liters of pints of beef broth, made with 2 cubes of beef,
- 2 tablespoons puree tomato ,
- 2 tablespoons sherry cream,
- 2 tablespoons yeast extract.
For the mini parsley meatballs:
- 200 grams of leavening flour,
- 100 grams of shredded suet,
- 3 tablespoons parsley finely chopped,
- ½ teaspoon sea salt in flakes,
- 150 milliliters of cold water.
- Preheat the oven to 170 ° C.
Wash the pieces of beef tail and dry them with kitchen paper. Cut off excess fat as much as possible. Put flour in a strong plastic food bag and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Place half of the pieces of cake tail in the seasoned flour and shake to cover. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining pieces of oxtail. Heat two tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet.
Cook the oxtail pieces over medium heat, turning occasionally for about 10 minutes, or until they are deeply colored. You may have to add extra oil or cook the meat in batches depending on the size of the pan.
Put the oxtail pieces in a large, fireproof pan. Return the skillet to the countertop and add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery, with a little extra oil if necessary.
Cook gently for 10 minutes or until soft and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Tilt the vegetables over the meat and add the thyme and bay leaves.
Add the wine, the stock and the tomato puree. Season with salt and pepper and leave to simmer.
Cover the casserole with a lid and cook in the center of the oven for three hours, stirring and turning the pieces of cake tail at half the cooking time until the meat falls from the bones.
Remove the pan from the oven and transfer the pieces of the turtle's tail to a table. Let cool slightly. Discard the fat from the soup that has been grouped on the surface.
Then, remove the meat from the bones and discard the gritones bits. Cut the meat into small pieces and return them to the pan. Add sherry and yeast extract.
To make the meatballs, mix the flour, tallow, parsley and salt in a large bowl. Add enough water to mix with a soft, fluffy dough.
Divide dough into 18 small balls and set aside. Bring the soup over low heat, stirring occasionally. Add plenty of condiments and drop the meatballs gently on the top of the soup.
Cover tightly with a lid and simmer for 15-18 minutes; Or until the dumplings are well lifted and fluffy. Serve the soup in deep bowls.
2- Pancakes with chocolate syrup
- 85 grams of leavening flour,
- 1 egg,
- 300 milliliters / ½ liter of milk (approx.),
- Drizzle oil.
For chocolate syrup:
- 55 grams of sugar in slices,
- Hot water splash,
- 30 grams of cocoa powdered.
To make the pancakes, beat the flour, egg and milk in a bowl to make a dough. Heat the oil in a pan of pancakes and with a ladle let the mixture cover the pan.
Fry the pancake for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat the same procedure to make more pancakes.
For syrup, sugar, water and cocoa are mixed together in a small saucepan over a gentle heat. Water is added, depending on how the thickness is desired.
To serve, transfer the pancakes to a plate and drizzle with the chocolate sauce.
3- Funfetti strawberry birthday cake
- Preparation time: less than 30 minutes.
- Cooking time: 1 to 2 hours.
- Serves 8 to 10 people.
For the cake:
- 250 grams unsalted butter, softened,
- 250 grams of sugar in slices,
- 250 grams of chicken eggs (about 4 medium eggs),
- 250 grams of leavened flour, sifted.
- 3 medium egg whites,
- 250 grams of sugar in slices,
- a pinch of salt,
- 300 grams of unsalted butter, softened and diced,
- 3 tablespoons of strawberry milkshake powder.
- 75 grams of rainbow color,
- 3 sandwiches stuffed with strawberry, cut in half.
- Preheat to 180 ° C.
Grease and place a cake mold of 14x20cm. For the cake, place the butter, sugar, eggs and flour in a large mixing bowl. Use an electric hand beater, beat for 3 minutes at medium speed until smooth and shiny.
Place the dough in the prepared pan. Bake on the middle rack for 45 to 50 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean and the cake is golden and well raised.
Let cool for 10 minutes on the can. Then let cool completely on a wire rack.
Meanwhile, for the strawberry meringue cream, place the egg whites, sugar and salt in a heat-proof container. Then, place the bowl on a gently boiling water pan (do not let the bottom of the bowl touch the water).
Then use an electric hand mixer, mix at high speed for 5 minutes, or until bright and thick. Remove from the heat and beat for 2 minutes, or until cooled to room temperature.
Quickly add the butter (one cube at a time) until you have used it all. The mixture may appear to be very loose and divided, but is still mixed until it has cooled, thickened, and spliced together. Beat the strawberry powder until it is well incorporated.
Once the cake has cooled completely, trim the top and sides if necessary, so that the rectangle is neat and flat. Turn the cake upside down on a cake or pie board.
Put half the butter cream in a tube bag with a large round tipped nozzle attached and set aside. With the remaining butter, cover the sides of the cake with a scraper spatula.
Make high peaks around the top edge of the cake. Disperse sprays over the center. Decorate the tops of some of the ice picks with medium-sized sandwich biscuits.
- Lindsay S. Nixon (2016-2017). What's The Difference Between Self Rising & Regular Flour?. Happy Herbivore. Recovered from: happyherbivore.com.
- Diana Rattray (2016). How To Make Self-Rising Flour. About Food. Retrieved from: southernfood.about.com.
- Katie (2007). What is self-rising flour?. Baking Bites. Retrieved from: bakingbites.com.
- Pancakes with chocolate sauce (2016). Pancakes with chocolate sauce. Ready Steady Cook. Retrieved from: bbc.co.uk.
- James Martin (2015). Oxtail soup with mini parsley dumplings. The Hairy Bikers' Comfort Food. Retrieved from: bbc.co.uk.
- Nadiya Hussain (2016). Funfetti strawberry birthday cake. Nadiya's Festive Family Feast. Retrieved from: bbc.co.uk.