This entry I will dedicate to explain How to help care for the environment Through practical actions that can be done from your own home.
Because the environment in which we live is very important for health. You can take good care of your mental and physical health, but if in the end we do not have a healthy world to live in, it will not do any good.
Be the change you want to see in the world.-Mahatma Gandhi.
Did you know this data?
- The World Health Organization (WHO) reports that in 2012 some 7 million people died - one in eight of the world's total deaths - as a result of exposure to air pollution.
- 13% are due to pneumonia, 34% to stroke, 25% to ischemic heart disease, 22% to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and 6% to lung cancer.
- In addition to outdoor air pollution, indoor smoke poses a serious health risk to some 3 billion people who cook and heat their homes with biomass and coal fuels.
- Each year, more than 4 million people die prematurely from diseases attributable to household air pollution as a result of the use of solid fuels for cooking.
- More than 50% of pneumonia deaths in children under 5 years of age are caused by inhaled particles indoors with contaminated air.
- The United Nations estimates that 6.4 million tons of garbage per year end up in the oceans around the world.
- In the Pacific there is an 'island' of 4 million tons of waste and an area of 1.5 million km2.
Not to mention climate change...
There are many things you can do daily to not pollute so much and respect the earth. Here I will comment on the 10 that I consider more important:
Simply by putting a can in the corresponding container you are doing a lot for the environment. The same with paper, cardboard and organic waste.
And you do not have to have complex compartments in your house, or spend a lot of money. It is as simple as having a bag for each type of waste: glass, organic, paper, packaging and plastic.
2-Uses LED bulbs
Approximately 25% of the energy consumed in a home is intended for lighting.
LED bulbs consume very little and can last up to 50 years. The price is usually 5-10 euros but is compensated in a few months, due to its low electricity costs.
Low-energy light bulbs (CFLs) also consume little energy but contain a gas with a portion of mercury, which makes them a hazardous waste. It is recommended that they be delivered to a recycling point.
3-Use water correctly
When saving water, small actions can make big differences.
Turning the faucet open while you brush your teeth wastes several liters of water. Each time you pull the chain is about 20 liters and its leaks can result in several hundred liters every few hours.
4-Use public transportation or bicycle
Transporting yourself by private transport is becoming more and more a luxury. Not only because it is more expensive, but because it contaminates many more.
If you can not remedy it, try to do several things in the same trip: make the purchase, fill the gas, visit someone...
Without a doubt, the best solution for transporting in a city is the bicycle. At least in Europe there are more and more bike lanes, it is healthy and also very economical.
5-Make an efficient use of energy
This includes: disconnecting everything in summer, turning off lights when you are not at home, disconnecting the"stand by"and avoiding air conditioners or heaters when they are not needed.
6-Buy reusable products and respect the environment
Products like lead paint or food with pesticides are toxic and you should not buy them.
It is better to buy organic products, which are usually safer for your health and the planet.
7-Buy local organic food
Fruits and vegetables sometimes move from other countries before arriving at a supermarket.
If you buy local products the fruit will probably be fresh and you will also have the possibility to ask if they are organic or if they have been used in them some pesticide.
(Only if you are indispensable and you can not transport in public transport, walking or cycling).
Experts estimate that efficient driving helps save up to 20% of fuel.
- Circulate as much as possible in the longest marches and at low revolutions. Better to ride in long gears with the accelerator pedestrian than in short gears with the accelerator less trampled.
- Keep the circulation speed uniform.
- It brakes smoothly.
9-Use reusable bags instead of plastic bags
Plastic bags consume large amounts of energy for their manufacture, are composed of substances derived from petroleum, which may take longer than half a century to degrade.
Choose to use reusable and non-polluting bags.
10-Eat less meat
Meat production has a great impact on the environment. Livestock industries generate 18% of greenhouse gas emissions.
In addition, forests of the Amazon have been cleared to give place to great fields to feed animals.
Vegetables, fruits and vegetables are essential for your health, Your defenses Or age more slowly.
11-Cultivate Your Own Food
If you have your own garden you can plant and maintain a small orchard that will provide you with a variety of organic vegetables, many more fresh than you can find in any supermarket.
12-Clean the house without contaminating products
When cleaning glass or furniture with strong cleaners, its chemical components inevitably escape into the environment.
This can lead to skin rashes or asthma attacks. White vinegar mixed with water can be used to clean the soil or remove grease stains.
Vinegar contains a concentration of 3% to 5% acetic acid in water and small amounts of tartaric acid and citric acid, compounds with highly disinfectant properties.
There are many that I can think of. If you know more, please leave them in the comments section:
- Go up the stairs instead of using the elevator.
- Use the folios / leaves on both sides
- Use the dishwasher only when it is full.
- Uses recycled paper.
- Use already used envelopes.
- Pay bills online instead of having to send envelopes every month.
- Do not leave the refrigerator open, it is one of the most expensive appliances.
- Buy used furniture.
And what are you doing to take care of the environment?
You may also like These phrases about the environment .